Dating site for unge Struer babyprodukter online dating
The charter is the first official recognition of the town as a regional power and is by some considered Aarhus' birth certificate.
The official and religious status spurred growth so in 1477 the defensive earthen ramparts, ringing the town since the Viking age, were abandoned to accommodate expansion.
In 1657, octroi was imposed in larger Danish cities which changed the layout and face of Aarhus over the following decades.
Wooden city walls were erected to prevent smuggling, with gates and toll booths on the major thoroughfares, Mejlgade and Studsgade.
It is notable that the "Aa" spelling has been in use the longest.
"Aa" was also used by some major institutions between 1948-2011 as well, such as Aarhus university (AU) or the largest local sports club, Aarhus Gymnastikforening (AGF), who have never used the "Å"-spelling.
In 2010, the city council voted to change the name from "Århus" to "Aarhus" to strengthen the international profile of the city. Certain geographically affiliated names have been updated to reflect the name of the city, such as the Aarhus River, changed from "Århus Å" to "Aarhus Å".
Aarhus grew to become one of the largest cities in the country by the early 16th century.The city ranks as the 92nd largest city in the European Union, and as number 234 among world cities. Aarhus is the principal industrial port of the country in terms of container handling and an important trade hub in Kattegat.Major Danish companies have based their headquarters here and people commute for work and leisure from a wide area in Region Midtjylland.In the 1950s many jazz clubs sprang up around the city, fuelled by the young population.By the 1960s, the music scene diversified into rock and other genres.